5 Tips for Success in Weight Loss and Life
Posted: June 18, 2015
We launched Biggest Loser “25” two weeks ago at the fitness center. Some are members of the gym but at least half are not. This means for most of them, the only time I see them is when they come to the Boot Camp workouts.
Anytime we launch a new group like this, I always spend a lot of time thinking about how to help them reach their goals. To that end, we’ve made a couple changes that hopefully will help them on their weight loss journey.
The first was having them download and start using the free MyFitnessPal app that I’ve written about before. What you eat matters, but for weight loss, how much you’re eating really matters more, especially early on.
The other big change was to get them moving right off the bat. On a side note, the phrase moving “right off the bat” comes from the late 1800’s and was first used in connection with baseball. It meant you had to act right away when catching a line drive that came “right off the bat.” Later it was used to describe how one got started quickly.
That’s what we’re trying to do with the group. We want to get them off to a good start right away. So they’re doing Boot Camp three days a week during the seven weeks. These 21 workouts will work their whole body, and burn lots of calories, which is exactly they need.
But beyond all the workouts and tracking their calories, they’re still going to need to bring a couple things to the table. If they don’t, they’ll struggle. But if they can dig down and settle these issues, sooner or later they’ll get the results they’re hoping for.
1. They have to REALLY want it. Sounds pretty simple, but losing weight isn’t easy. It takes a lot of work and sacrifice. But nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.
2. It helps to find your reason WHY. If you have a big enough why, it’ll keep you motivated when things get tough.
3. You have to make a COMMITMENT to do whatever it takes. You have to make your mind up that whatever else, “I’m not stopping!”
4. It also helps to SHARE your goal with others. Writing goals down give them power. But sharing them with others is even better. It makes you accountable, and you’ll be amazed at how much support you’ll get.
5. Finally, FAITH is important too. Faith in the process and faith in the people helping you. Faith in yourself to follow through, and most important, faith in God. There’s going to come a time when you can’t make it on your own. But He can help you do it.
So there you have it. 5 tips to help you be more successful in weight loss, and life. Good luck to all our new Biggest Losers!